The MWRRL begins tomorrow! Of course it officially stands for Midweek Road Race League as an accurate description of the running events taking place on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings for clubs in the Herts and North London area.
But if you’re still not sure what the MWRRL is all about, here’s what it also stands for…
M is for… Make new friends (and enemies!)
Taking part in the league is an excellent way to get to know your clubmates as there’s time to chat before, during (depending how hard you are pushing yourself!) and after the 10k races. Make the most of regaling your clubmates with your mile splits and race analysis as you’re unlikely to get such an appreciative audience with non-running family members at home!
|A group shot from a previous year to be replicated tomorrow in our new vests!|
If you do want to run as hard as you can, pit yourself against a similarly-paced rival club runner. Having a rival can push you to run harder (it worked for Seb Coe and Steve Ovett!) so see if you can stay ahead of your running nemesis throughout the league!
W is for… Win! Win! Win!
W is for… Win! Win! Win!
|Our trophy haul from a previous year|
R is for… Run in your shiny new Striders vest!
Wednesday's race will be the official first outing of our new club vests! Please remember you can’t run in the old vest as we are no longer registered to compete in it according to British Athletics rules. If you haven’t got a vest yet, they are available to buy here. If that doesn’t leave you with time to get one for tomorrow please let the captains know when you register to run, or post on the Facebook page or messageboard to see if you can lend one for the first race.
R is for… Race for free!
Paid up members of the club can take part in all races in the league for free. As race entries are increasingly getting more expensive, this offers a cost-effective opportunity to compete and go for a 10k PB without breaking the bank! As the races are held from May to July, it’s an ideal way to see if you can improve your speed and fitness by the final event.
|Cake will be waiting at the finish!|
L is for… Loads of cake at the finish!
At the end of each race there’s lots of CAKE - a tasty incentive to run as fast as you can so you can get to it first! For healthier eaters there’s also sandwiches and fruit as each host club puts on a buffet for all runners to enjoy at the finish. To this end, we need food contributions for the race we are hosting on 4 June. We need donations of homemade or shop bought sandwiches/rolls, savoury pastries (sausage rolls/quiche etc), cakes/cookies, biscuits etc. Please email Tina at catering at stalbansstriders.com and let her know if and what you are able to contribute.
So if you’re now keen to take part in the league to enjoy the race atmosphere, team spirit (and cake!) these are the dates for your diary (full details on each race are emailed by the road captains and posted on the messageboard in advance)…
MAY 13 STEVENAGE
JUNE 4 ST. ALBANS
JUNE 18 ROYSTON
JULY 2 TRENT PARK
Ahead of the first race tomorrow, here’s some final instructions on what you need to do if you are planning on running.
- Email Lucy (women) or Joe (men) on ladies at stalbansstriders.com and men at stalbansstriders.com respectively so that we can assign you a race number (don’t worry if you are reading this just before the race and haven’t emailed. Still come along as we can assign you a number on the night but it just makes it much easier and quicker for everyone else if we can do this in advance).
- Turn up to the race HQ below in good time to park and pick up your race number from Joe or Lucy who will be at the race HQ up until about 10 minutes before the start. As this is the first race in our new vests we are planning a group photo at 7:30pm so please try to be there for that.
- Remember to bring your NEW Striders vest and safety pins.
- Run! Afterwards you will be given a ticket with your position in the finishing funnel. Keep hold of this and give it to Joe and Lucy who will be near the finish so that they can record it on the team results sheet.
- Enjoy the buffet! Results will appear asap on runherts.com