Given the difficult period many people are experiencing at the moment we need to make sure that we keep our mind as well as our body in shape. This is perhaps a great time to get to know each other a little more. It will also give you something different to read online. You may have seen similar ideas in magazines such as Runner's world.
Here's what we will do. We will have a standard set of questions that will be put to various members and then put out a new blog post at regular intervals. You may find out new and interesting things about your fellow Striders. When we all get back to running you may find it easier to get talking.
Thanks to Matthew Bedford for suggesting this and he will be our first person in the spotlight. Matthew is a on the Striders publicity team and has been a member since 2018.
Matthew Bedford
Age
53 😳
Occupation
"Boring" accountant (though slightly less boringly at the moment, my employer is one of the largest global manufacturers of critical care ventilators – we are doing everything we can to support NHS now)
Reason you started running?
Originally to lose weight. After I got to age 50 and realised I had to do something before it was too late. It has now become a really important part of my life, mainly thanks to the incredibly welcoming and supportive people I have met through Striders.
Favourite race distance?
I have only done one marathon (so far!) but really enjoyed my first one last year.
Favourite running route and race?
I'm so lucky such a variety of trails, river/canal and woodland in easy reach of the front door. Also love the Fred Hughes.
Running goals?
In the short term I want to get back to where I was a few months ago. Then I would really like to improve my 5k time – people I can match over a Half Marathon are way faster than me at Parkrun!!
How often do you train?
I try to run 3-4 times per week including as many club sessions as work permits (either Striders and/or Blyth Running Club when I'm working 'up north')
What motivates you?
Really enjoy doing physical exercise for literally the first time in my life (did my best to avoid sport of any kind even when I was at school ! )
Most memorable run/race?
I will always remember my first ever 'proper' race - Fred Hughes in 2018. Lining up on start line with the snow falling was something I won't forget.
Injuries?
I managed to tear my hamstring a month ago. This is my first ever running injury and i'm still only just recovering.I now understand the frustration injury causes!
Other hobbies?
I have been a local councillor for nearly 30 years, representing Abbots Langley and Bedmond. (and in normal circumstances would have been up for re-election this year)




No comments:
Post a Comment