Next up in the spotlight is Striders legend and hall of fame member, Colin Braybrook. Colin has been member of the club since the early 90's. Colin has undertaken many roles within the club including secretary, midweek race director and most recently on the publicity team. Colin also won the club champs 4 years in a row between 2009 and 2013.
Colin Braybrook
Age
59 this week
Occupation
Systems analyst for an insurance company. Someone has to do it!
Reason you started running?
My dad suggested it when I was feeling fed up
one day in my teens . I started by
running round the block. It can’t have
been more than a mile. Later we got the
option to do cross country instead of rugby at school. The sooner we finished the course, the sooner
we went home. I was hooked! I have never given up for very long
since. It has always been a good way of
letting off steam. On the downside,
there have probably been periods of obsession and over-training! Also withdrawal symptoms when I cannot
run.
Favourite race distance?
It used to be the half marathon, which I
could generally polish off without too much training. But my body struggles a bit with that now; I
can push myself to do it but the risk of injury seems to increase. So I would have to say 15k cross country or
trail race now, as in Southern cross country or the Ridgeway Run. Both very good value.
I only really got into marathons in my
forties when I got divorced and had time to train properly for them. They are hard work, but very rewarding when
the training paid off. I now miss being
able to go that far without conking out. I have run 13 London Marathons; once you get
on to the Good For Age train it becomes a challenge to stay on it; once you fall
off it, you wonder how on Earth you managed it.
Running goals?
Just keep running as much
as my body will allow. I am not going to
get any PBs now. My left leg gets one injury after another. But I have no plans to give up even if I am
slower and in more pain than in the past.
It’s still good to turn up and see what I can do. And there is always volunteering at parkrun
when I can’t face a run and want to stay in touch (well, until recently, at
least!)
How often do I train?
5 or 6 days a week . It’s nice to get out for some fresh air after
a day’s work. Except on Friday. For some reason I don’t like running on
Fridays! I don’t generally train fast
any more. I just bimble along, listening
to the Archers or the BBC World Service.
Parkrun or the odd league race are my speed session really.
What motivates me?
I like a routine. And I like to get out and see how far I can
go – my body and brain soon tell me if I need to go for a run. Racing, even when I don’t really feel like
it, generally makes me achieve more than I thought I could. That’s the good thing about the cross country
and road race leagues. My grumpiness
generally increases when I don’t run so that’s another reason to stay
motivated.
Most memorable race?
I have had a few. PB at Reading Half a long time ago; winning
the V40 trophy at Watford Half; just missing sub 3 hours at Snowdonia Marathon two
weeks after a sub 3 at Abingdon; getting a PB in the London Marathon; 2:59:59 in the last Luton Marathon. Finishing sub 3 twice at Paris Marathon. Being
part of the Striders winning team at the Kent Coastal marathon.
There have been some awful results too
including DNFs and DNSs. For a few years
I organised the St Albans Midweek Race.
It stressed me out somewhat, I was Club Secretary too at the time, but I
had a lot more energy in those days.
Injuries?
Loads recently – my left leg seems permanently damaged these days. Knee, hamstring, toe, ankle, one thing after
another. And I have a bunion on my right
foot, which I probably ought to get sorted out.
Breaking my arm was painful, but I think I won the Club Championships
anyway. Until my mid-50s I got injured
but generally recovered. Nowadays I just
seem to ache all over the whole time.
Other hobbies?
I used to play saxophone
and piano. I’d like to get back into
that, I just need to find the time and the inclination.
Guilty pleasures?
Nothing quite like a
Killer Sudoku to waste a bit of time.
Totally pointless, but it bugs me if I can’t finish them.






No comments:
Post a Comment