Wednesday, 13 May 2020

Striders Spotlight: Jen Conway

Today in the spotlight we have Jen Conway. Jen joined Striders in 2013 and was deputy chair between 2014 and 2016. Jen was Strider of the year in 2016 and also Female athlete of the year in 2018.


Jen Conway 

Age

30s

Occupation

Quality Assurance Manager at a national care and housing provider for older people.

Reason you started running?

I had a lot of energy as a child and I joined my local running club (Giffnock North) as soon as I was able to - at the age of 9! I remember being desperate to join for a few months because my friend who lived up the street had turned 9 and joined before me.


The question should probably be why did you stick at it - because I was rubbish! I regularly came last or near last when I started. But I loved the camaraderie of it, I found great friends, and I learnt to believe in and get the most from myself. The notion that hard work leads to results was a good life lesson. It gave me confidence in other areas of my life when I was able to achieve things I initially hadn't thought possible.

I moved clubs when I went to university and joined the running club there - serving as the all-important social secretary. After being in the wilderness as an unattached runner for a couple of years, I moved to St Albans from Cambridge in 2013 and joined Striders. Initially to find my bearings and make friends in a new area - before I knew it, I was Deputy Chair!

Favourite race distance?

Because of injury, I've not managed to race anything longer than a half marathon - I've only done a handful of those but I've enjoyed them and I think my favourite distance might lie in the longer range. That being said, an eyeballs out 5km is always fun to blow away the cobwebs!

Favourite running route and race?

My favourite running route would be anywhere on the trails, with friends or alone, sunshine on my back and unlimited time - followed by a good brunch.


For racing, I've always loved XC. The Herts XC around Verulamium Park last year was my favourite recent race. It was the only race I trained specifically and even tapered for and I really felt the difference. My time around the 5-mile course would be my PB!

Running goals/targets?

I'd really like to run a marathon and that's been on the list for a while. I'd also like to tick off a sub-40 10k, an official sub-19 5k and a sub-11 3000m on the track. But, due to injury, my main goals for the year ahead are just to be running pain-free, enjoying the process and back into full training!


How often do you train?

I train most days but usually take a Friday off. If I'm not injured, it's likely 4-6 days of running but some runs will be really easy. I also do strength and cross training - I enjoy attempting to lift weights and various gym classes, and occasionally head out on my bike too.

What motivates you?

The motivation for running is that I simply love it. I like the feeling of freedom and, when you're fit, everything just flows. For racing or tough sessions, I'm motivated to try to improve myself (although I've accepted that I probably won't be able to run as quickly as I did when I was 15!). I enjoy testing my boundaries though, which are often more mental than physical.

I also always feel better after a run too. When I was a teenager and occasionally grouchy, my mum would ask if I'd been for a run that day yet! When my dad died when I was at university, running became a way of processing grief and feeling more in control during a difficult time. There's no space for other thoughts when all you can think about is the burning in your quads! I continue to use running to maintain my mental wellbeing now so, when I get injured, I have to take care to fill the void that not being able to run can leave.

Most memorable run/race?

I have many memorable races as a junior - I was lucky to have won several national and regional individual and team titles, raced in a Scottish vest, and even shared a room with Eilish McColgan for a British Schools trip!

More recently, racing for Herts at the British XC Intercounties as a Senior last year was great - I'd ran in Intercounties in a Scottish West vest many years previously so it was good to have come back full circle and race in the vest of my new home.

Injuries?

I've had a few! Anyone who has been at the club for more than a couple of years may remember my mid-race downhill ankle break in 2016 (oops). Since then I've had a torn gastrocnemius muscle (calf), plantar fasciitis and, latterly, shin pain. Over the years, I've learnt that the PBs, medals etc. are actually the easy part; running has taught me how to dust myself down and get back up after disappointment - which is another good life lesson!

Other hobbies?

I enjoy being outdoors generally so I like walking or cycling in the countryside. During lockdown, I’ve developed a bit of a Scrabble GO habit. I also like sharing a good brunch, lunch or dinner with friends - if that's a hobby?

Guilty pleasure?

I am a huge Hugh Jackman fan (and have been since the X-Men movies in early 00s) - I spent an obscene amount when I saw his show in Paris last year, including €30 on a 'Hugh' hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment