Sunday, 28 June 2020

Striders Spotlight: Karen Sheard

In today's spotlight we have Karen Sheard. Karen joined striders in 2016. 

Karen Sheard

Age 

47 

Occupation

Before I had my three sons I worked as a Marketing and Events Manager for a TV Distribution Company.  It always sounded more exciting than it actually was (essentially admin and long hours) but I did get to go to Cannes twice a year and I met Simon MacCorkindale (“Manimal”, for those who are too young!).

Now, I’m a stay at home mum who does a bit of Drama teaching and, once Lockdown is over, I’m hoping to do some Run Leading. At 47 I’ve finally accepted that I really can’t sing (although I’m a great lip-syncer!) and it’s unlikely I’ll ever win X Factor…

Reason you started running?

I was on the cross-country team at school - I could never sprint but I could run and most girls didn’t seem to want to, so that was that.  There followed several years of competitive running with me and our milkman’s daughter who went to a neighbouring school.

Once I Ieft school exercise took a back seat to working and socialising. After my first son was born, I enjoyed a wonderful couple of years going to coffee mornings and eating cake so unsurprisingly my weight crept up and I felt fairly slovenly.  While moaning to a friend about it, she said simply ‘why don’t you run? It’s cheap (!), you don’t need any equipment and you can fit it in around your life’ That was it. The following week I bought a pair of trainers and signed up for Race for Life. 


Favourite race distance?

I sooo want to love marathons, and I know there’s no feeling quite like crossing the finishing line knowing all the training has paid off, but the training once the miles ramp up (+ the last 10km of the race) is just seriously tough!  For that reason I’d have to say half-marathon.  It’s something you have to train hard for but it doesn’t take over your life.


Favourite running race/route?

I’ve loved every single Stampede run - be it either in a team of 8 or 4 ladies.  An inspirational, supportive event full of camaraderie that always reminds me why I love running with friends so much.

Running goals?

I always used to be a solitary runner, and am still happy running alone, but what I’ve loved about joining Striders is the friends I’ve made and the joy of running with other people.  I’d really like to run some more unusual races - on trail, team races, relay races and races further afield? And I’d love to run them with other people - anyone up for it?  I’d also really like to have a go at another Ultra Marathon. I’d like to run more races in a Striders vest - the midweek races and cross-country are something I had a go at last year and really enjoyed - even Parliament Hill without spikes!


How often do you train?

3 or 4 times a week.  Before Lockdown I regularly went to the Striders Tuesday track session, Park Run and a longer run on Sunday with some circuit training too when I could fit it in.  At the moment I’m running every other day with a long slow run on Sunday.

What motivates you?

To be a good role model to my boys (who currently are pretty uninterested in running so that’s working out well!) I’m not hugely competitive with other people but I am with myself - I stand on every start line thinking I’m not going to push myself, I’ll just enjoy it and see how it goes, then the race starts and I absolutely can’t hold back - this has resulted in some truly horrific race photos! I find other runners hugely inspiring and I love trying to keep up with those who are just that bit faster than me. I’ve yet to come back from a run and regret going, so as long as that continues I’ll keep running and, you never know, one day I might get another PB…


Most memorable race?

That’s a toughie - am I allowed more than one?  

London Marathon 2016 when I got my Good For Age time - I was so happy that I cried at the end but also said to my husband ‘I’m never running a marathon again!” London Marathon 2018 - the hottest on record and my slowest to date.  I realised quite quickly that it wasn’t going to be my day so I made the decision to just try and enjoy it - I stopped to hug friends and family, soaked up the atmosphere and finished with a sun tan and some quite severe chaffing.

Running the Dulux London Revolution Trail Ultra Marathon with Nicky Laitner - realising with 400 metres to go that we might finish under 6 hours if we put in a sprint finish was unforgettable (we managed 5:59:29!) and, last but not least, last years St. Neots Half Marathon when I got a PB for the first time in years - all thanks to Robin Newby who was on my shoulder for the whole race.

 Injuries

I’ve been pretty lucky to be honest. Over the years I’ve only been injured a couple of times - ITB strain and shin splints that, thankfully, once treated haven’t returned. I did once manage to twist my ankle falling off a step in a gym class which meant I had to pull out of St. Albans Half, but that was from not concentrating rather than pushing myself!  I’ve since discovered that my pelvis was twisted - most likely from being pregnant three times with big babies and being just over 5 foot! - so every time I’m training for a race, once the training ramps up I go and get myself checked and re-aligned. Having regular sports massages has also helped me stay relatively injury free (I’m touching wood and crossing my fingers as I type and so is my husband, I’m not the easiest person to live with when I can’t run!)

Hobbies

I love snowboarding. It always feels a little strange to call it a hobby when it’s an activity I do once a year, but I’ve shed many tears learning to snowboard so, now I can get down a mountain in one piece without stopping or swearing and mostly with a big grin on my face, its on the list. I also enjoy Intervals and Circuit Training at the gym, dog walking and, when time allows, walking on trails or hills. I’m actually pretty lazy so other than that I’m quite sedentary - I’m in a Book Club and would happily watch films or television programmes for hours if I could!

Guilty Pleasure

I love drinking gin, playing Scrabble, watching all manor of questionable television and listening to Desert Island Discs and My Dad Wrote a Porno podcasts. Let it be known I don’t feel particularly guilty about doing any of these things!


 


1 comment:

  1. Karen, brilliant, but how can you say you are not competitive you pushed me so much last year, it helped me fall back in love with running.....

    ReplyDelete