In today's spotlight we have Andy Normile. Andy joined striders in 2015 through the Run with Striders course. Andy has gone on to become a run leader himself and has very enthusiastically led the Run with Striders course for the past couple of years. Andy has also been on the catering team and was last years Volunteer of the year at the annual awards.
Age
Old enough to know
better, but young enough to get away with it (which equates to approx. 52 in
human earth years).
Occupation
Financial Analyst
for Wickes, based in our head office in Watford (when not in lockdown). I
initially trained and qualified as an accountant, but then decided to get a
real job. Before Wickes I worked for TUI and EE. I also had a brief 2nd
career, when I wrote and performed comedy, and ran a comedy club.
Reason you started running?
I used to play a lot of cricket and golf, and thought of myself as generally quite fit. In 2010 my twin sister (who has been a runner all her life) challenged me to a 5k charity race, in memory of our little sister who had recently died. I turned up in my Arsenal shirt, beach shorts, and £10 Matalan plimsolls, thinking it would be a breeze. After 3k , I found myself hitting the wall and jog walking the final 2k, while my sister just sped off into the distance. I decided that I wasn't having my sister beat me, so I started training, first in the gym and then I finally dared to venture out in public.
I had started to get bored of running by myself, on my one and only
route, and the fact that I wasn't improving. Then out one Thursday I was
passed by a group of Striders (led by Colin Braybrook) and I thought 'ooh
formation running', that looks like a lot of fun. I googled local running
clubs, found Striders, and joined RWS, which literally changed my life. Oh, and
the following year in the same 5k race I beat my sister, and I've never
picked up my cricket bat since.
Favourite Race Distance?
Half marathons, enough to push and challenge mentally as well as physically , but not requiring the full preparation and training for full marathons.
Favourite Race and Route?
Willow 10k, held every 1st Sunday in October at Hatfield House. It's local,
very relaxed, enjoyable, and organised by the ex Arsenal goalkeeper Bob
Wilson, who is an absolute legend.
I used to live in Chiswell
Green, so loved running around the Fred and St Albans half routes, but now I've
moved to Highfield Park, I'm exploring the routes around there. I might even
get adventurous and put the 2 together.
Running Goals?
At the moment
I mainly run for fun, but my particular passion has become coaching,
especially RWS, run leading and the odd Tuesday session (who hasn't yet done my
Fun 500's ?) I have a deferred place in the London Marathon for April 2021, so
during lockdown I've started training for that.
How often do you train?
Usually 3 times per week (more during lockdown) plus some core work. I've
promised that I will treat myself to Wendy Walsh's runner Pilates session
as I get nearer to April 21.
What motivates you?
(besides outrunning my sister) , keeping fit and healthy, meeting new people ,
inspiring new runners to achieve what they had thought impossible, and
especially seeing them make new friends and running buddies.
Most memorable run/race?
I
have three. The first time I ran 10k at the Herts 10k in Harpenden. As we all
lined up at the start, I felt like I was on some impossible mission pushing all
the boundaries and, 'to boldly go, where I'd never gone before'. I
imagined myself as Neil Armstrong on the launch pad. My 1st ever race for
Striders, the Trent park 10k in the MWRRL, I felt so proud putting on a
Striders vest, like I was a footballer putting on an England shirt. And of
course, my first Marathon, Brighton 2016, the support I received from Striders,
then hitting the wall at 23 miles, where every muscle movement became sheer
agony.
Injuries?
Like most new
runners , I overdid it at the start, and over the course of my first 2 years
sprained the MCL in both knees. I can also be a bit clumsy, on one run I banged
my head on a 30 mile an hour road sign. But the most bizarre was when putting
in some extra effort with my arms on a hill session. As my arm swung thru, my
little finger got lodged in my shorts pocket, my arm kept swinging, but my
finger remained in the pocket, and I dislocated it, as well as leaving a tear
in my shorts. But nothing major, and remarkably I've never fallen over whilst
running.
Other hobbies?
I love practically all sports, especially football, cricket and American sports. I'm a ticket holder at Arsenal (where I often see Richard Sved). I recently got into gardening, which I'm starting to enjoy, also a bit of cooking, baking and I've done a lot of travelling in my time
Guilty pleasures?
Chocolate,
cake, and especially chocolate cake, writing too much.





No comments:
Post a Comment