Wednesday, 22 July 2020

Striders Spotlight: Richard Derrick

In the spotlight today we have Richard Derrick. Richard joined striders about 30 years ago and is still going strong. 


Richard Derrick

Age 

64

Occupation

I retired 3 years ago after 30 years in international pharmaceutical information and consultancy. I now mentor undergraduates at my old university (Bath) and sports clubs through the charity Sported.

Reason you started running?

I started cross country running at Grammar School in the Under 13’s.  I gave it up when I went to Bath Uni as I was playing cricket and football there for the Uni and I did need to do some Economics.

I returned to running in my early 30’s when I was travelling a lot for work and needed something to do whilst staying in hotels particularly in the US, Australia and Asia Pacific when I was waking up at all sorts of strange times. 

I joined St Albans Striders about 30 years ago but for about 20 years was never home early enough to be able to do the Tuesday and Thursday night sessions so I actually met very few Striders.

Favourite Race Distance?

Half marathon, for the challenge. The Watford and Berko halfs are a good challenging start to my year and show me whether I have done much x country over the previous few months.


In terms of distance, 10ks are a close second.

Favourite Race and Route?

In terms of cross country - Orion 15 through Epping Forest, a traditional x country race/run with great views cannot be beaten.  Amanda’s grandfather was a founder member of Orion Harriers who organise the race and my brother in law is usually marshalling.

Another favourite is the St Levan 10k which is run on a Friday night in August which starts about 3 miles from Land’s End. Runners come from all over Cornwall as it is part of the Cornwall Grand Prix series.  You run an undulating course usually into the sun towards Sennen Cove which is where we stay.  

Parliament Hills cross country - I  do every year for the challenge and has to be done as a rite of passage for every runner I think!!. It was bit strange running over that hill and not seeing mud when I led that leg of one of our relays to the Olympic Park.


Running Goals?

To simply keep running as long as I can.

How often do you train? 

I train twice a week usually; I do not follow any particular training plan but ‘listen’ to my body. 


What motivates you?

Initially after stopping playing cricket and football in my mid 30’s I missed the dressing room banter that you get from a team sport which was one of the main motivations for playing them.

I run for the different views that you get from the various courses and that sense of achievement and a bit of post run banter.


I am fascinated by the fact that there are some days at the start you do not feel great and ask yourself why am I doing this but after a few minutes of running ‘the world changes’ and it all feels great and you are ‘floating’.  

Of course unfortunately it also works the other way round and it goes downhill (not physically) and that it is not a great feeling at mile 8 of a half marathon but then it becomes a challenge to dig down and count off the miles.

At the moment I am highly motivated to stay under that 2 hour figure in half marathons as long as I can. The Power of Ten database is really good for tracking my times over the years.

Most memorable run/race?

I enjoyed both relays that Striders did down to the Olympic park as in both of them I ran one more leg than I planned/expected to do but the buzz was good.


I really enjoyed doing a half marathon in Maui.  Hawaii a few years back which started at 5 in the morning, within 30 mins my running shirt was dripping in sweat but the views and community spirit at that time in the morning was amazing.

Injuries?

I spent about 18 months getting over sciatica in my 30’s.   I try to avoid injury by never running two days in succession and going for a sports massage every 3 months.

Other hobbies?

I cycle a lot and ride two or three 100-mile sportive's a year and multi day rides for charity such as the annual Prostate Cancer London to Amsterdam and the Rennie Grove St Albans to Isle of Man bike ride which has been delayed from this year

I met Amanda skiing and we still ski in the Winter.  I am a sports nut and watch a lot of cricket.

Guilty pleasures?

Nothing that I can think of but you better ask Amanda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment