Today's Strider in the spotlight is Emma Hosty. Emma joined Striders in 2016 and recently completed her run leader course with the club.
Age
46
Occupation
I was a management accountant in a past life. I’m now self employed and have my own business providing bookkeeping and admin services.
Reason you started running?
Probably seeing my husband Steve training for his Ironman competitions. He was getting fitter and I was getting fatter! Googled local running clubs and found the Run with Striders course so signed up in 2016 and never looked back.
Favourite race distance?
I enjoy 5 miles and 10Ks. I find longer distances harder to train for.
Favourite running route and race?
I enjoy the Herts 10K route as it is so varied – road, track and just one hill! One of my favourite races is the Hale 5 mile up in Liverpool which is held every Easter Sunday. A flat PB course that Steve and I can run together and leave the kids with family. A great medal and a free Easter Egg at the finish!
Running goals/targets?
I’d like to get my 10K time under 55 mins so I’m looking forward to joining the purple group to help me achieve this. I would love to run the London Marathon but unfortunately I’m never lucky enough in the ballots! The distance terrifies me and It would take me completely out of my comfort zone but it’s definitely on my bucket list to do.
How often do you train?
On a good week I will try to do both Striders sessions and a Bounce class (cardio and toning). Ideally I’d also do a parkrun but difficult now as the kids play football Saturday mornings.
What motivates you?
My bathroom scales!
Steve has always motivated me and I love seeing him and the kids cheering me on at the finish line. If I run the same race as Steve he will always come back for me and will run with me to the finish.
Also running wouldn’t be half as enjoyable without my running friends. I love coming to Striders every week – such as supportive and inclusive club.
Most memorable run/race?
That would have to be the Stampede which I ran in 2017 with my sister in law. I think I managed 5 laps so the furthest I have ever ran in a day! The kids and nephews came along to support so a lovely family day too.
Injuries?
I suffered with a dodgy hip a few years ago which stopped me running for several weeks. I never got it looked at but thankfully with plenty of rest it got better. Now I’m fairly injury free apart from the usual aches and pains which I put down to age!
Other hobbies?
Don’t have a lot of time for hobbies but I’d like to do more cycling. I bought a bike a few years ago but it rarely comes out the shed!
Guilty pleasure?
Wine, gin and supporting Everton FC.





No comments:
Post a Comment