Today's Strider in the spotlight is Katie Bunting. Katie joined Striders in 2015 and has done a fantastic job as women's cross country captain for the last couple of years. Katie is also one of the clubs run leaders.
Katie Bunting
Age
44
Occupation
Primary school teacher. I currently teach year 2, but have taught years 1-5 in the past. We have introduced the Daily Mile at school which the children really enjoy, although we don’t often quite manage the mile every day. I’ve also adapted some of the Striders track session to use with the children with, at times, chaotic results!
Reason you started running?
Years ago, I did the Moonwalk with a friend who had completed the London marathon that year, and during the 7 hours we were walking together, she somehow convinced me to give running a go. I’ve always been pretty active, doing a lot of horse riding and tennis when I was young but running was never something I’d considered have go at.
Favourite race distance?
I do enjoy 10k and 10 mile races. With 10 miles, I feel I’ve run a decent distance but you don’t have that final tough 3 miles of a half marathon.
Favourite running route and race?
Having found a bit of love for cross country in the last couple of years, I do enjoy exploring trail routes around St Albans. Ashridge is somewhere I don’t get out to enough and the Ridgeway Run is one of my favourite races. The first time I did it I ran with a few other Striders, and we ran it a very social pace, chatting and taking photos, the most relaxed but enjoyable race I’ve run! The mid weeks and cross country events are great, largely because of the social element. Although Parliament Hill is tough, and this year was the toughest yet, it’s a great race to challenge yourself.
Running goals/targets?
I would like get close to a 50 minute 10k, and embarrassingly my 5k PB dates back to 2017.
How often do you train?
About 3-4 times a week. I try to make Striders on a Tuesday and Thursday, then parkrun on a Saturday and a Sunday run. With the current situation I’m doing a daily walk or run, and I aim to get out on my bike as the roads are quieter.
What motivates you?
Striders, running with friends, having the chance to get some fresh air and to be able to put a bad day into perspective. I became a member of Striders after completing the Run with Striders course and if I hadn’t joined I would still be plodding round the streets with no real aim. I always thought I wasn’t fast enough to be part of a running club, but I’ve been proved very wrong and I couldn’t have joined a more welcoming and inclusive club.
Most memorable run/race?
The Standalone 10k was my first race wearing a Striders vest and I’ve never felt so nervous (I was stupidly worried about being an embarrassment to the club!) but having other Striders to chat to before and after the race made such a difference.
I was very pleased to finish the Edinburgh Marathon in 2018. I had really struggled with the training and although I had done a 20 mile run I was really questioning my ability as a runner and whether I was a marathon runner. I can definitely say I’m not a marathon runner and have full admiration for people who have run multiple marathons.
Injuries?
So far, nothing serious. I had a knee problem last year that came and went without any clear idea about what had caused it.
Other hobbies?
I do enjoy gardening, and then sitting and admiring my hard work with a beer or glass or wine. I’ve done a bit of travelling and love seeing new places, especially ones that are a bit more unusual. I’ve done a few conservation volunteer holidays to some amazing places including Oman, Namibia, Peru and Kyrgyzstan, where I was helping scientists gather data about endangered animals. Capturing a leopard to put a radio collar is something I’ll never forget.
Guilty pleasure
The usual beer, wine and gin, also the Great British Bake Off. It makes Tuesday complete.





No comments:
Post a Comment