Next in the Striders Spotlight is Martin Medforth. Martin is a Striders regular who joined in 2014 and shows us that age need not be a barrier to enjoy your running.
Martin Medforth
Age
Turned 60 last June
Occupation
I’m a Civil Servant, specifically a Commercial Specialist with the Government Commercial Organisation. I manage a team with responsibility for ensuring the smooth running of Technology and Systems that ensure the integrity of the UK’s Borders. The last couple of years have been interesting, and as you may appreciate it’s likely to become more so.
Reason you started running?
As a teenager I was moderately active, spending time on the Lakeland Fells and the Peak District, as well as escaping boarding school on the bike or foot. After university, and particularly by the time I settled down and got married, I became rather more sedentary. I never found gym membership worked for me so, just before I turned 50 I signed up for BMF and found it gave me a real buzz. I helped organise a number of activities, including weekends away in North Wales and a couple of skiing trips. I’d not really thought too much about running but on noting it was holding me back I decided to put some work in, and on completing an over-distance 1500m trial in 7:40 and being congratulated by the instructor with the words “so who said you couldn’t run?” I knew it was for me.
Favourite race distance?
Over the last 6 years I’ve discovered, or in some instances rediscovered, everything from 100m through to Marathon (neither of which I’m that good at) but on balance I’m going to say my favourite is the much neglected 5 mile distance. It’s also a useful training run distance too – 45 to 50 minutes out is relatively easy to fit in to most days.
Favourite running route / race?
I have to admit my favourite run routes are from our house in Keswick … mainly around Latrigg, Skiddaw, or the Lake. Local to here I’ll often use routes around the Redbourn Road including Gorhambury, Shafford and Childwickbury.
Favourite race is quite difficult. I have quite a few memorable ones but it’s challenging to think of a perfect course. Perhaps if you asked what is the one race I’d miss it would likely be the Keswick Half Marathon. I particularly like the downhill run along the western side of the Derwentwater as it takes me back to my childhood. Locally it would be a toss-up between Watford Half Marathon and either Hatfield or Headington 5 – Watford is a challenging but varied route and I think it’s still my fastest HM to date … Hatfield and Headington are both good for being flat five milers … Headington though wins as it’s my PB course.
Running goals?
In simple terms – running and continuing to run for as long as I can. I recall one of my early running coaches saying when I turned 55 … “so what are you doing for the next 55 years?” Having recovered from mild shock, and mindful of the fact that my father’s side of the family have been blessed by longevity, I realised I might well live a while yet … and if I can run efficiently and with form that minimises injuries it would be good to keep active for many years yet … a few V70 or V80 records might be a bonus … V60 looks quite challenging!
How often do you train?
At the moment, rather sporadically, not least because of this Covid-19 situation, but when I’m fully engaged, I try to fit in at least 3 sessions a week - though 5 out of 7 days is better … I see value in keeping things varied and feel happy if I manage north of 20 miles in a week. Because I’m better in the mornings a good weeks training for me often coincides with holiday weeks when I get to join in with the AC Middle Distance group sessions.
What motivates you?
The jury remains out on whether aiming for PBs is still it. I guess it is, but I’m probably more obsessed with form and feel. A while back Wendy Walsh introduced me to Keith Bateman and Heidi Jones’ “Older yet Faster” – since then Keith has become a personal friend and mentor and though I’m still on a journey towards achieving a running technique with consistent upright posture, balanced whole foot landing and rebound, there have been some recent runs when I’ve felt I’m making progress.
Most memorable run/race?
Despite a less than happy experience the last time I ran it I do have a particular fondness for the Chiltern League Keysoe course. It was my first XC after 35 years, sleet set in to add to the biting wind on the third lap. Even so I finished with a massive smile on my face – much to the surprise of Graham Smith who was beginning to think I’d resigned.
Another race that sticks in the memory was a 5000m track appearance at Mile End that put me into the top 100 nationally for age as well as providing a PB.
Injuries?
Varied – the first significant one was an over-exercise adductor sprain following two weekends when I’d run Parliament Hill National XC and Berkhamsted Half Marathon with training runs between. It meant that I went into my first Marathon at Brighton (2015) not having run more than 14 miles … I finished in 5:05. At least by the autumn I improved to 4:25 in Dublin.
My last injury was totally related to stupidity and over-exercising again. Mid last year I was confident that I was running well in Xero (Barefoot) shoes. I’d done a tough week of varied sessions starting with a 10 mile the previous weekend, various hill sessions and 5 milers and a shuttle run speed session on Sunday. Overall, I’d clocked up 30 intensive miles. I rested Monday and Tuesday then decided to race the Three Bridges Handicap race (second Wednesday of the month). I warmed up on the way to the start line at Westminster Bridge, aware of some calf tightness, but dismissing it! 800m in I sprained an Achilles tendon – likely over striding. I spent 5 months recovering and not running … message to self and others… listen to your body!
Other hobbies?
Mediation – otherwise know as Alternative Dispute Resolution. I have spent much of my career managing contracts and this has meant I’ve been involved in a number of dispute experiences. Three years ago I found myself with some time on my hands and a friend suggested training as a Mediator. I’m now fully accredited for Civil, Commercial, Workplace and Employment Mediation. I undertake workplace mediations for the Civil Service as part of my “corporate contribution” and do an average 20 Travel Conciliations for ABTA in a year (or at least did!) whilst also serving as a faculty member at the Society of Mediators and undertaking assessments of new mediators for a training provider. It’s a hobby that makes a small amount of money and hopefully something I can develop to support retirement whenever that happens
Guilty pleasure?
My Hi-Fi … I studied Music at University and at the time I “invested” in a Hi-Fi system that was a bit more expensive than I could sensibly afford. 40 years later the slate platform direct drive record player and a significant collection of vinyl is still with me. Although other components have moved on, I have continued to spend more money than is rationally sensible on ARCAM and B & W components. In an otherwise digital world, there is little to compare to the experience of quality FM radio or Pink Floyd Echoes on vinyl played through a clean Arcam A39 class G amplifier and B & W CM4 speakers! . (Yeah I’m a nerd!)
No comments:
Post a Comment