Joanne Tang
Age
48
Occupation
I’m an Executive Assistant working in the London Market, a distinct separate part of the UK insurance and reinsurance industry (comprises of insurance and reinsurance companies, Lloyd’s Syndicates, P&I clubs and brokers). I work for the CEO of a market leading speciality insurance group.
Reason you started running?
I was turning 30 in 2002 and I decided to run the London Marathon. I ran for The National Kidney Research Fund as one of my sisters has had two transplants and is again on dialysis and this charity was close to my heart and still is. No Google so all my knowledge was gained from Runners World. I spent many training sessions on the treadmill watching football matches as these lasted 90 minutes and kept me running for at least that time. I crossed the line and was exhausted but in the following 24 hours I knew I wanted to run it again. I managed to get a ballot place for the 2005 London Marathon and ran proudly in my Striders vest.
In 2012 I turned 40 and had a stroke. I had been to Striders that evening and was excited that I had managed to run the 6 miles quite comfortably. I got home and for some reason something was wrong, my husband called an ambulance and when I came round the next morning I was told I had had a stroke. Following this, my running didn’t pick up again until late 2013 and I’m grateful to still be able to lace up my trainers and head out of the door as a stroke survivor.
Favourite race distance?
I don’t really have a favourite. Running in my Striders vest with my friends is all I need.
Favourite running route and race?
I like the Ashridge Boundary Trail as a route but it’s too hard for me to “race”. My other favourite is the Fred Hughes route.
Running goals?
I’m like Bernadette, I’m trying to work on my speed. More “speed” miles and less “junk” miles!
How often do you train?
I like to follow plans as I like the structure and being told what to do each day I run. At the moment I’m following a 5-day a week plan for a Half Marathon that has been cancelled, but I’m still going out and putting in the training.
What motivates you?
Having a race in the diary to focus on and even better when your running buddies from Striders have also signed up. Also, I like to eat cake!
Most memorable run/race?
The Ridgeway Run in 2015. First time I did this race and the fact that the Striders I ran with didn’t care I was slow, I wasn’t in their normal running group on a Thursday, 11 of us all ran in together finishing in 1.50.14.
Injuries?
Nothing comes to mind but I know that I should be doing more S&C or I may get injured in the future.
Other hobbies?
I do like to sew and knit and currently while we are locked down I’m managing to finish off projects that I started a long time ago. I also enjoy spending time with my girls Katy (10) and Sophie (9) who don’t enjoy my love of running but hope that this will change as they grow older.
Guilty pleasures?
I enjoy watching Casualty, I have it on series link and like to watch a few episodes at a time.






No comments:
Post a Comment